Grandma & Amari

Grandma & Amari
This is the first girl of my 4th generation.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Impacts on Early Emotional Development


 This could be You.
K.I.N. D. Kids in need of a desk. 

Share with your colleagues the area of the world you chose and why.

I chose to look at West and Central Africa because this is a place I wanted to visit and teach. I have been telling myself that I am going to Africa. Africa appears to be one of the Regions that have the most problems with children getting an education. There are few teachers and much child abuse I want to help end the hunger, I want to educate the children, and I want to experience the African lifestyle.

Describe in detail some of the challenges that children in this region of the world are confronting.

According to the reading not enough teachers is one of the challenges faced in Africa. Two out of ten children dies before age five because of hunger. Forty percent of the children are out of school and when they go to school it could be a tragedy.

Explain how these experiences might have an effect on children’s emotional wellbeing and development.

Children that suffer from abuse at a young age grow up to become rebellious. “Children aged five and younger are at an ever greater risk for neglect than older children: almost 80 percent of all maltreatment victims in the younger age group experienced neglect in FFY2009, compared with two-thirds of children aged six and older.” (DeVooght, McCoy-Roth, & Freundlich, 2011)

Include a personal and professional reflection. Explain the insights you gained and the influences they may have on you as a person and as an early childhood professional.

I want to visit Africa to experience their lifestyle, their teaching techniques, and to adopt a child and possibly more than one. I want to take at least one child from the pain and misery. As an early childhood professional I want to give those children (all of them) a chance to be educated.

DeVooght, K., McCoy-Roth, M., & Freundlich, M. (2011) Young and vulnerable: Children five and under experience high maltreatment rates.  Early Childhood Highlights 2 2, (April 29, 2011) Retrieved February 23, 2013 from  online @...

 

3 comments:

  1. There is a women's group I used to meet with and the majority of women have a heart for Africa. One woman grew up in South Africa, two women have traveled there and another is planning a trip. One of these four women has also discovered her daughters are in Africa and is going through the adoption process right now. I hear the saying is, you can never wash the African dirt off your feet because once you're there you never truly leave. I really enjoyed what you shared, there is a wonderful community of people who love Africa and the love seems quite pure! I hope you make it there and are able to live out the dreams you have shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia. Africa is my first stop/step in changing the way children learn and live. I am doing all I can to get there.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading about your dream of traveling to Africa.It appears that some of the schools in Africa faces the same challenges our school system face. I have no doubt you will be a positive influence WHEN you do go to Africa.

    ReplyDelete