Grandma & Amari

Grandma & Amari
This is the first girl of my 4th generation.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice

*       Describe in detail the consequences you might expect for the children and families with whom you work while you experience specific "–ism(s)" in your own life. Include specific examples either those you have and/or are experiencing or ones you would anticipate.



My personal experiences should not affect my ability to teach or help others.  "Cognition" usually refers to an information processing view of an individual's psychological functions. My ability to think and react could be distorted when helping families if I allow my personal life to interfere with my ability to teach and help families. I need to focus on the needs of the family.   Emotions can cause a person to react without thinking and an emotion can be taken the wrong way. Children that are not use to what  emotions  are, may be frighten if I break out in tears in the middle of class the children may start crying. If I’m having an emotional day I probably need to stay home not exposing children to my personal life. My emotional stability can cause me to have physical problems that parents will notice and question my ability to teach. My mental and emotional appearance has to be soundly fit. I need to be in position where I can be a help to someone not a threat. I have to be at my best at all times for my own well-being and the well-being of children and families...
“Cognition is the scientific term for "the process of thought." Its usage varies in different ways in accord with different disciplines: For example, in psychology and cognitive science it refers to an information processing view of an individual's psychological functions. Other interpretations of the meaning of cognition link it to the development of concepts.”(Blomberg, 2011)
“Emotion is the generic term for subjective, conscious experience that is characterized primarily by psycho physiological expressions, biological reactions, and mental states. Emotion is often associated and considered reciprocally influential with mood, temperament, personality, disposition, and motivation,[citation needed] as well as influenced by hormones and neurotransmitters such as dopamine, noradrenalin, serotonin, oxytocin and cortisol. Emotion is often the driving force behind motivation, positive or negative” (Gaulin, 2003)
“The term quality of life (QOL) references the general well-being of individuals and societies. The term is used in a wide range of contexts, including the fields of international development, healthcare, and politics. Quality of life should not be confused with the concept of standard of living, which is based primarily on income. Instead, standard indicators of the quality of life include not only wealth and employment, but also the built environment, physical and mental health, education, recreation and leisure time, and social belonging.” (Gregory, 2009)

Read more:
http://www.answers.com/topic/quality-of-life#ixzz2KLXqM1Hi
References
Blomberg, O. (2011). Concepts of cognition for cognitive engineering. The international journal of aviation psychology, 21(1), 85-104. doi: 10.1080/10508414.2011.537561
Gaulin, Steven J. C. and Donald H. McBurney. Evolutionary Psychology. Prentice Hall. 2003. ISBN 978-0-13-111529-3, Chapter 6, p 121-142.
Gregory, Derek; Johnston, Ron; Pratt, Geraldine et al., eds. (June 2009). "Quality of Life". Dictionary of Human Geography (5th ed.). Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN 978-1-4051-3287-9.




3 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie.

    I appreciate that you are aware of the need to keep negative personal experiences and emotions out of the workplace. It's something that is truly difficult to do, as we are all vulnerable to life's many challenges.

    I wanted to tell you that the photo of you with your great grandchild warms me every time I visit your site.

    Reference:
    Dangel, Julie Rainer & Durden, Tonia Renee. 2010. The nature of teacher talk during small group activities. YC Young Children. Washington, DC.

    I wonder though, is there a way to go through life in a way that permits your expereinces to be useful in the work setting?

    Dangel and Durden, 2010, talk about making "connections to children's lives." This connection might come through shared or similar experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gregory
    I need to updated the photo she's a year old now. When you get use to doing something it comes natural. Usually my work involves people that's what I do. I enjoy what I do and I apply my knowledge and skills wherever needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie,
    You mentioned a lot of very interesting facts in your blog, the main one being how the girls are dressing way older than they are. And the fact that the schools need to teach home economics versus sex education. Because children today are indeed doing it at an alarming early age and also having access to the internet without parental supervision has gotten way out of control. Parents need to know what sights their children are looking at.

    ReplyDelete