Grandma & Amari

Grandma & Amari
This is the first girl of my 4th generation.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Non-verbal communication-Action does not speak louder than words.

I take responsibility for actions and my words.

What assumptions did you make about the characters and plot based on the ways in which you interpreted the communication you observed?
I watch the show “The Office” on TBS channel 247. Watching the show without sound was pretty interesting to me because I have never watched a show without the sound. The interpretations I perceived where that the show was pretty boring or serious from the look on the characters faces. I do not know how to read lips although I attempted to do so as I tried to make out some of the words. I was way off. The scenery appeared to have taken place in a conference room and then it switched to a barn yard setting. The people conversing had sad looks on their faces; I thought it was concerning an illness of someone or maybe even a death, very sad. Non-verbal communication of such scenes was pretty confusing to me and if this was a test I would have failed. The show was pretty boring to me and I would most likely not ever watch it again.
Would your assumptions have been more correct if you had been watching a show you know well?
No, and even If I have watched the show more than once.  It’s like watching for the 10th time. If it were a series, I would have assumed that I knew what a particular character would be saying and that’s only if I had seen the particular show more than once. I only assume that I would be correct. I would have to watch the show in silence while recording myself mimicking the words and then listening to the recording. I probably would have the meaning of what that character was saying not exact words.
The body gestures, the facial expressions all could mean something other than what I would be thinking. This theory was proven to me in the exercise.

”Electric communication will never be a substitute for the face of someone who with their soul encourages another person to be brave and true. “ --Charles Dickens
”The limits of my language means the limits of my world.” --Ludwig Wittgenstein

9 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie,
    I would have thought the same thing if I had watched The Office. I tried several times to watch this show and could never get into it. My son on the other hand, loves it! Watching with no sound would just add to my confusion.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked serious, it sound boring. (lol) How old is your son and ask him what he gets out of the show.

      Delete
  2. Hi Leslie,

    your blog was very interesting. I like the way that you was honest about your confusion of the show and I really like the quote that you chose it is really on point. I am so glad to really think about the forms of nonverbal communication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda, I can't read lips, nor do I know sign language. I like for a person to tell me what they mean or write it down. This was an interesring exercise and I may even try it again, but with a show I watch on a regular basis and it will be a rerun. (lol) Thanks

      Delete
  3. Leslie,
    I have never watched The Office, although I have heard people talk about it. So, did you turn the volume up and figure out if they were sad or not? Before I married my husband, he used to sometimes watch old movies with the volume turned down. Never did figure out why he did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wierd (LOL) Just kidding. Maybe he was really thingking and use the television as a focus point. I like the light on and for it to be quiet when I'm thinking and it works. Some of my best thoughts came to me in the light.

      Delete
  4. Leslie,
    I have also never watched The Office. Even though we tend to put a lot of stock in people's body language and nonverbal cues, we can be way off if we don't also know what they are saying. I also found that to be true in the show I watched as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie-
    It seems as though we are on the same page. I know that “The Office” is a show that has received a ton of raved reviews although I have never been able to get interested while even watching the first 5minutes, of the show. Watching even a show that you like is completely different in silence and we most definitely can have a different interpretation of what is actually occurring.

    Schlee ☺

    ReplyDelete