Grandma & Amari

Grandma & Amari
This is the first girl of my 4th generation.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Research that Benefits Children and Families-Uplifting Stories/ WK3Assign2LTurner


Money matters for early education: The relationships among child care quality, teacher characteristics, and subsidy status.

Child care is common for working families. Low income working families need affordable child care. High-quality child care is critical to a child’s learning and development as well as cognitive development. Research has shown that quality child care is an important to all children. Vandivere, Pitzer, Halle, & Hair, 2004; WestEd, 2002) “However, there is less research on how funding streams, such as the federal child care subsidy program, influenced child care quality.” (Buell, Gamel-McCormick, 2011)

Question-“Is it necessary to examine how child care subsidy policies are interacting with teacher characteristics to influence the quality of programming that children, particularly low-income children, are receiving?” (St.Clair-Christman, Gamel-McCormick, 2011)

References

Early Childhood Research & Practice http://ecrp.uiuc.edu/v13n2/index.html
St.Clair-Chritman, J., Buell, M., Gamel-McCormick, M. (2011) Monet matters for early education: The relationships among child care quality, teacher characteristics, and subsidy status. 13(2) http://ecrp.uiuc.edu/v13n2/christman.html

WestEd. (2002) Urgency rises for quality child care; Infants and toddler policy brief. San Francisco. Retrieved 5/15/12 from http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED468563.pdf
  

4 comments:

  1. Great topic! As a teacher and as a working mother I see both sides of the spectrum. Child care is expensive and if you want high quality you have to pay, however, even those working in a high-quality center make close to minimum wage. As a teacher, each year my check gets smaller and smaller because of increased health care, retirement funds, and taxes. In my eyes educators and child care employees have one of the most important jobs...to help raise successful and competent individuals. Why is it they we get paid so little?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it.
    I am so greatful my daughter will be an adult and hopefully earning her own income. I plan to have affordable childcare services for parents because I know how hard it it to keep a child in paid care whether it after school or all day. Thanks for reading my post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post!

    As a teacher, I do understand this. Many families want to put their children in affordable, high quality care, but due to the high costs of that care, they are unable to afford to do that.

    I agree with Alicia on her comment; I, too see a decrease in my pay each year. However, even though I get paid so little, I want to aid in the development of children and teach them to be successful. However, I do believe more funding needs to come from somewhere. The question is, where? The state only gives so much; where do we go from there?

    Thank you for your post!

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray each day for better tomorrows. I can make a differece.

    ReplyDelete